Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I found the "Platform of the American anti-Imerialist League" really interesting. I liked how it brought up the poinst of how overtime places that were so far from each other are now closer. Additionally, the idea that the US regardless of oceans and rivers causing divide but now make the country connected. What I found most intersting was the reference to what Lincoln said of "'no man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent... Thos who deny freedom from others deserve it not for themselves, and under a just God cannot long retain it.'" this quotation reminded me of Douglas's assertion that the idea of a liberal world breaks down if only some can enjoy that liberty. I found it really interesting because it also encompassed the idea that if those subjected to a rule have not submitted to it the rule will not last very long because for the society to function there must be mutual understanding of some of these rules. People must be able to have some say in there government because otherwise there will be a break down of order.

No comments: