Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mill

I found it interesting that Mill as apposed to Hobbes and Locke seemed to have a greater focus on the individual and the need for individual freedoms. I'm not sure but he seems to put a great sense of worth in the idea that people will act in with the thoughts of others and not soleley themselves if they are given these individual liberties. He names the individual as the sovereign. He seems to be critisizing the other forms of governece by stating "those who are still in a state to reqquire being taken care of by others, must be protected against thei own actions as well as against external injury.(79)" He recognizes that in those states that people not given personal liberties will be more compelled to act in their on self interest. On the other hand he seems to offer that a society that provides absolutly his three main liberties of thought and feeling, liberty to do what one likes, and lastly the liberty that as a combination of the individual libeties people have the right to come together for any pproductive purpose. I feel that I can most closely identify with Mills definition of a state because if this were as everyones rights respected and there does not seem to be one supreme or absolute rule.

No comments: