Tuesday, November 18, 2008

the Nation State.

I found Hitler's chapter on the nation state to be quite interesting and disturbing. He points out that the finch does not mate with a stork and sees that as a peice of evidence in nature for why the race should be kept pure. by his definition Race and species are the same thing. He beleives that mixing of races or ethnicities causes a medium between the two parents where the offspring will on the scale be higher than the lesser parent and lower than the more advanced parent. I find this to be absolutly ridiculous becuase there are numerous examples of cultures crossing and it beeing a good thing. I do not equate races with species and therefore i do not beleive that there should be such thing as a pure race. Additionaly, I do not agree with his assertment that htere is a superior race and that to maintain a functioning culture one must preserve the race that started it. He also mentiond that it is the duty of the superior or Aryan class to control and keep down other inferior classes. This idea of a superior needing to control in some way another group brought to mind Rudyard Kiplings article "the White Mans Burden" where Kipling beleives that it is the duty of the white man to assist lower classes while simutaneously creating situations that benefit him as well. This concep of a superior class and the need for them to reamin pure is not s good wone and ultimately can lead to more problems within that race. I feel like I have heard of certain religious groups that do not allow mixed marriages and as a result have had many people who are too closely related marriing and procreating creating more biological problems in there offspring than seen in cultures that allow mixed marriage. So overall I feel that Hitlers ideas of equating race with species are misguided at best and would lead a race to greater devastation than prosperity.

No comments: