Friday, December 12, 2008

Security vs. Liberty

After comparing Huxley's A Brave New World and V I do agree with the general assertion that security and liberty tend to be at opposition with one another. I don't think that it should be this way and I hope that there is a possibility for that to change. However I have little hpe for a system to be create that would provide people with all of the liberties that they feel they deserve and also the security that people need in order to enjoy those liberties. In both of these fictional worlds the liberty of themembers of the societies are limited but only in A Brave New World do they feel secure as well because they are controlled through genetic conditioning as opposed to fear.
The discussion that we had in class the other da about control through phameceuticals I found to be very interesting. similar the the world that Huxley created drugs are becoming more commonly used as a means of normalizing and controling the behavior of children or to alter the mindset of a person in a way that is supposed to make them feel or behave better. the world that we are living in could very well spiral down into won that is as controlled as a BNW which is scary. Drugs are becoming the way to deal with rambunctious kis who are just that kids they are supposed to have lots of energy. It is also becoming a way of continuing the a divide between the fortuante and the less fortunate. For example, in my high school it was not uncommon for students to be diagnosed with ADD or different learning disorders that enabled them to get extra time of all exams. Everyone would do well if they had unlimited time to write two essays as opposed to one hour. It is supposed to be a way of levelling the playing feild but if these kids didn't have parents that thought and were able to get there kids tested for these learning disabilities they would not have gotten this treatment. I do beleive that the dependency on drugs that has been created in our society is a nother means of control that will ultimately limit our security without adding to our liberty.

No comments: